Latin America and the Caribbean: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints, DeGolyer Library
About the Collection
Latin America and the Caribbean: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints provides a sample of the thousands of photographs relating to Latin America and the Caribbean held by SMU's DeGolyer Library.
DeGolyer Library digital collections are part of CUL Digital Collections, which contain thousands of digitized photographs, manuscripts, imprints, and works of art held by SMU's Central University Libraries special collections.
The digital collection portrays the landscape, people, and technology of various countries, including Costa Rica, Peru , Bolivia, El Salvador, and Cuba in the late 19th century, and includes a set of photos of St. Pierre, Martinique, before and after the eruption of Mt. Pelee in 1902. The DeGolyer Library also holds significant collections relating to Mexico, which are found in Mexico: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints.
Holdings and Highlights
The collection includes images from several DeGolyer accessions, including:
- Charles Lummis photographs of Mexico and Peru (cyanotypes of Peru ca. 1890-1906)
- Costa Rica (views of landscape, coffee plantations, Poas Volcano, Turrialba Volcano, and railroad construction ca. 1885-1890)
- Edward A. Flint collection of views of Peru and Bolivia (views of scenery and railroads in Bolivia and Peru ca. 1869-1878)
- Mt. Pelee volcano, St. Pierre, Martinique (album showing Martinique and St. Pierre and before, during, and after the horrific eruption of Mt. Pelee in 1902)
- Photographs of Jamaica, Trinidad, and Venezuela containing 48 photographs of towns, harbors, people, railroads and 1896 maps of Caracas and Venezuela y Sus Ferrocarriles. Also included are views of sugar cane fields and workers, a photographer with a view camera, plantation houses, workers from India in Jamaica, Spanish Town, Jamaica, and some formal studio portraits of Indian workers in Trinidad by Felix Morin.
- San Salvador, El Salvador (photographs of parks, a cemetery, and a house in San Salvador ca, 1900 by landscape photographer Peter Fassold)
- Spanish American War, (series of three photographs showing the ceremony marking the end of Spanish rule in Cuba on January 1, 1899, and the beginning of the U.S. occupation of Cuba)
Lawrence T. Jones III Texas Photographs is one of a family of digital collections from the DeGolyer Library that focuses on Texas, the U.S. West, Mexico, and Latin America.
For more information, see:
Digital Collections Guidelines and Procedures
Items in Central University Library Digital Collections are digitized following the SMU Central University Libraries Digitization Guidelines and Procedures. Digital collections are created under the guidelines of the SMU CONTENTdm Guide: Framework for Building a Collection, or through specialized metadata profiles tailored for the collection.
Copyright usage terms vary throughout the collection. Each item contains information about usage terms. If SMU does not have the right to publish the item on the Internet, only the item's metadata will be available and the digitized object will be available on a restricted access basis. Such items may only be viewed on campus. When items are available for use, please cite DeGolyer Library, Southern Methodist University. A high-quality version of these files may be obtained for a fee by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the collection, please contact email@example.com.