Europe, India, and Asia: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints
About the Collection
Europe, India, and Asia: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints digital collection provides a sampling of the holdings related to Europe, India, and Asia in SMU's DeGolyer Library.
In general, collecting at the DeGolyer Library emphasizes the U.S. West, exploration, business history and transportation, particularly the railroads. Many of the photographs, albums, and materials shown here depict railroad and shipping throughout Europe and Asia, from the 1850s through the turn of the century. More items will be added as materials are scanned.
DeGolyer Library digital collections are part of CUL Digital Collections, which contain thousands
of digitized photographs, manuscripts, imprints, and works of art held by
SMU's Central University Libraries special
Holdings and Highlights
In the Europe, India, and Asia: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints digital collection, the DeGolyer Library has made available a growing number of its accessions:
- Aanleg Cheribon - Kroja, Java, an album containing 98 photographs documenting the construction of the railway line between the cities of Cirebon and Kroya, in Java, Indonesia. Each photograph is presented separately in high resolution; the full album is available as a .pdf.
- Asiatic Mirror: a newspaper written in English that originated from Calcutta, India, known today as Kolkata. Dates for newspapers in the collection range sequentially from July 14, 1813, through November 17, 1813. Newspaper entries focus on topics such as legislative actions taken in the British House of Lords, world events including excerpts from other national papers, and global military actions such as the capture of American frigates.
- Bengal-Nagpur Railway, 1890, the first album (Album 1) in a two-album set depicting the construction of the Bengal-Nagpur Railway, ca. 1890-1897. Album 1 contains 45 albumen prints mounted one to a page, with large-format views of railroad and bridge construction showing tracks, tunnels, landscapes, Indian workers, ships, and British engineers in India. A related pamphlet was also uploaded, Bengal-Nagpur Railway: Its History and Development. Parts I. and II.
- Bossoli's Views in The Crimea. / Brierly's Marine & Coast Sketches of the Black Sea &c.
- Der Vormarsch der Flieger Abteilung 27 in der Ukraine: portfolio containg 263 photographs documenting the advance of the German Flight Squadron 27 in the Ukraine during the Spring and Summer of 1918 at the close of World War I. The photographs depict German aviation and aerial photography from the Eastern Front. Both the full portfolio and the 263 individual photos, scanned at a higher resolution, are available.
- Feldbahn-Uebung, Uelzen-Celle, 1892: portfolio documenting the railroad and military operations along the route from the German towns of Uelzen to Celle via the Feldbahn narrow gauge military railway.
- Hamburg-Amerika Line ships: 16 photographs by Louis Koch, ca. 1888-1894, showing the German luxury passenger ships ''Augusta Victoria'', ''Columbia'' and ''Normannia''
- ''LE'', Lemberg Eisenbahn: album of 27 photographs, ca. 1868, by Schoon depicting the Lemberg-Czernowitz Railway, including the cities of Lemberg, Halicz, Kolomea, Stanislau, Czernowitz, and the Bystrzyza, Dniester and Pruth Rivers
- Photographs from Les travaux publics de la France par MM. F. Lucas et V. Fournie - Ed. Collignon - H. de Lagrene - Voisin Bey - E. Allard ..., including Les Travaux Publics de la France, Tome Premier: Routes et Ponts; Les Travaux Publics de la France, Tome Deuxieme: Chemins de Fer;
Les Travaux Publics de la France, Tome Troisieme: Rivieres et Canaux, Eaux des Villes - Irrigation et Assainissement des Terres; Les Travaux Publics de la France, Tome Quartieme: Ports de Mer; and Les Travaux de la France, Tome Cinquieme: Phares et Balises
- Photographs of Q.S.T.S. ''Lusitania'': 61 interior and exterior photographs of the Lusitania, ca. 1905-1907, by Bedford Lemere & Co.
- Photographs of Western India by William Johnson, ca. 1855-1862, including Photographs of Western India. Volume I. Costumes and Characters., Photographs of Western India. Volume II. Scenery, Public Buildings, and Photographs of Western India. Volume III. Scenery, Public Buildings, &c.
- Port of London, England, ca. 1802-1808
- Ricordo di Venezia Venice, Italy: 20 photographs of Venice, ca. 1880-1890, by Paolo Salviati
- R.M.S. Mauretania: 51 interior and exterior photographs, ca. 1900-1909, of the luxury passenger ship, Mauretania
- Sir Ellice Victor Elias Sassoon papers and photographs, including the albums: the Shanghai, album, ca. 1937; Shanghai, album, 1936-1937; Landscapes, China and India, "Eves" and Garden, 1937; Portraits, Lucas Twins and Others, 1937-1939; and China and Second Sino-Japanese War, 1937-1939, album.
- The Cunard Express Steamer "Lusitania" pamphlet, 1906
- The Seat of War in the East ... 1st-2d series., ca. 1855-1856, a bound volume comprising 81 lithographic prints and 36 sketches by William Simpson depicting various aspects and military campaigns/battles during the Crimean War as seen by Simpson during his tenure as an observer/camp follower for the British Army in the Crimea
- Views of the Chinese Eastern Railway album, ca. 1903-1919, containing 42 photographs depicting depots, railroad shops and yards, buildings, car interiors, tracks, health resorts, and other views along the line. Captions for the photographs are in Russian, Mandarin, and English. The Chinese Eastern Railway is the Trans-Manchurian line of the Trans-Siberian Railway that runs from the Transbaikal region to Vladivostok.
- Views of the Nikolaev Railway: album of 47 photographs, ca. 1855-1864, by I. Goffert comemorating the railroad line between St. Petersburg and Moscow that was opened in 1851.
- Zur Erinnerung an die Eröffnung der Staats-Eisenbahn (The Imperial-Royal State Railway from Ljubljana to Trieste), a portfolio of 14 lithographs commemorating the opening of the Sudbahn from Ljubljana, Slovenia, to Trieste, Italy, by Emperor Franz Joseph I on July 27, 1857.
Digital Collections Guidelines and Procedures
Items in Central University Library Digital Collections are digitized following the
SMU Central University Libraries Digitization Guidelines and Procedures. Digital collections are created under the guidelines of the
SMU CONTENTdm Guide: Framework for Building a Collection,
or through specialized metadata profiles tailored for the collection.
Copyright usage terms vary throughout the collection. Each item contains information about usage terms. If SMU does not have the right to publish the item on the Internet, only the item's metadata will be available and the digitized object will be available on a restricted access basis. Such items may only be viewed on campus. When items are available for use, please cite DeGolyer Library, Southern Methodist University. A high-quality version of these files may be obtained for a fee by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the collection, please contact email@example.com.