Europe, India and Asia: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints
About the Collection
This digital webpage: Europe, India, and Asia: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints digital collection provides a sampling of the holdings related to Europe, India, and Asia in SMU's DeGolyer Library.
In general, collecting at the DeGolyer Library emphasizes the U.S. West, exploration, business history and transportation, particularly the railroads. Many of the photographs, albums, and materials shown here depict railroad and shipping throughout Europe and Asia, from the 1850s through the turn of the century. More items will be added as materials are scanned.
DeGolyer Library digital collections are part of CUL Digital Collections, which contain thousands of digitized photographs, manuscripts, imprints, and works of art held by SMU's Central University Libraries special collections.
Holdings and Highlights
In the Europe, India, and Asia: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints digital collection, the DeGolyer Library increasingly makes available its accessions:
- Der Vormarsch der Flieger Abteilung 27 in der Ukraine: portfolio containg 263 photographs documenting the advance of the German Flight Squadron 27 in the Ukraine during the Spring and Summer of 1918 at the close of World War I. Both the full portfolio and the 263 individual photos, scanned at a higher resolution, are available.
- Feldbahn-Uebung, Uelzen-Celle, 1892: portfolio documenting the railroad and military operations along the route from the German towns of Uelzen to Celle via the Feldbahn narrow gauge military railway.
- Hamburg-Amerika Line ships: 16 photographs by Louis Koch, ca. 1888-1894, showing the German luxury passenger ships ''Augusta Victoria'', ''Columbia'' and ''Normannia''
- ''LE'', Lemberg Eisenbahn: album of 27 photographs, ca. 1868, by Schoon depicting the Lemberg-Czernowitz Railway, including the cities of Lemberg, Halicz, Kolomea, Stanislau, Czernowitz, and the Bystrzyza, Dniester and Pruth Rivers
- Photographs of Q.S.T.S. ''Lusitania'': 61 interior and exterior photographs of the Lusitania, ca. 1905-1907, by Bedford Lemere & Co.
- Ricordo di Venezia Venice, Italy: 20 photographs of Venice, ca. 1880-1890, by Paolo Salviati
- R.M.S. Mauretania: 51 interior and exterior photographs, ca. 1900-1909, of the luxury passenger ship, Mauretania
- Sir Ellice Victor Elias Sassoon papers and photographs
- The Cunard Express Steamer "Lusitania" pamphlet, 1906
- Views of the Nikolaev Railway: album of 47 photographs, ca. 1855-1864, by I. Goffert comemorating the railroad line between St. Petersburg and Moscow that was opened in 1851.
Europe, Asia, and India: Photographs, Manuscripts, and Imprints is one of a family of digital collections from the DeGolyer Library that focuses on regional coverage of areas around the world..
For more information, see:
Digital Collections Guidelines and Procedures
Items in Central University Library Digital Collections are digitized following the SMU Central University Libraries Digitization Guidelines and Procedures. Digital collections are created under the guidelines of the SMU CONTENTdm Guide: Framework for Building a Collection, or through specialized metadata profiles tailored for the collection.
Copyright usage terms vary throughout the collection. Each item contains information about usage terms. If SMU does not have the right to publish the item on the Internet, only the item's metadata will be available and the digitized object will be available on a restricted access basis. Such items may only be viewed on campus. When items are available for use, please cite DeGolyer Library, Central University Libraries, Southern Methodist University. A high-quality version of these files may be obtained for a fee by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the collection, please contact email@example.com.